Assistant to the assistant
Sometimes, my job is the ultimate comedy of errors. I work for the 1st AD. The 1st assistant director. The boss. Numero uno.
A director manages actors (as well as the production in general) and mainly focuses on where the story is going and how it will look. The AD manages the clock. Better defined, how everything is scheduled and what departments get it done. A good first is able to think in minutes and seconds as well as bring together 5-10 different departments in fluid harmony.
Film is not cheap. On average the cost of a foot of film is 57 cents. The average 1000' roll will get you about 10 minutes of footage. You do the math. IT's the job of the 1st to make sure that that time isn't wasted.
My job is to back up the first. As such, there are certain rights and responsibilities that go along with my job. The priority is being a second set of eyes and ears (and mouth) for the 1st.
When she is gone, my word rings true.
I ran set today for a few minutes. (We'll say five) At first I thought it was not really a big deal. Then I had 5 different people ask me what was going on. Initially I was a bit nervous. How do i answer questions about camera placement, actor's whereabouts, what's happening in the next scene, how many setups until then... I suppose i looked dumbfounded. Then a voice came over my radio and told me to relax and make it happen.
Matter of fact.
After a second (eternal second) of digging down and finding some courage, I made it happen.
It was amazing how things just fell into place. The cameras were ready; actors lined up; director at the monitor; sound rolling...
$135 dollars in 2.5 minutes and I still have a job tomorrow.
Exhale. Time now.
A director manages actors (as well as the production in general) and mainly focuses on where the story is going and how it will look. The AD manages the clock. Better defined, how everything is scheduled and what departments get it done. A good first is able to think in minutes and seconds as well as bring together 5-10 different departments in fluid harmony.
Film is not cheap. On average the cost of a foot of film is 57 cents. The average 1000' roll will get you about 10 minutes of footage. You do the math. IT's the job of the 1st to make sure that that time isn't wasted.
My job is to back up the first. As such, there are certain rights and responsibilities that go along with my job. The priority is being a second set of eyes and ears (and mouth) for the 1st.
When she is gone, my word rings true.
I ran set today for a few minutes. (We'll say five) At first I thought it was not really a big deal. Then I had 5 different people ask me what was going on. Initially I was a bit nervous. How do i answer questions about camera placement, actor's whereabouts, what's happening in the next scene, how many setups until then... I suppose i looked dumbfounded. Then a voice came over my radio and told me to relax and make it happen.
Matter of fact.
After a second (eternal second) of digging down and finding some courage, I made it happen.
It was amazing how things just fell into place. The cameras were ready; actors lined up; director at the monitor; sound rolling...
$135 dollars in 2.5 minutes and I still have a job tomorrow.
Exhale. Time now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home